Our History, Our Mission
Founded in Nyeri, Kenya -- by Bishop Filippo Perlo in 1918 -- the Missionary Sisters of Mary Immaculate are a congregation of Catholic women working throughout East Africa as well as in the United States. In founding the congregation, Bishop Perlo -- an Italian missionary who himself had come to Africa in 1902 to live and work -- believed that anyone who would come to be a part of the new congregation must follow in the footsteps of our Lord Jesus Christ . . . in caring for the poor, the needy and those who were suffering. Today, with more than 400 Sisters actively serving in Tanzania, Uganda, Kenya and the United States -- the Missionary Sisters continue to hold closely to the belief that it is the duty of all Christians to reach out on behalf of those who cannot care for themselves.
The Missionary Sisters of Mary Immaculate currently staff and provide administration for ten primary and three secondary schools throughout East Africa. Additionally, the Sisters maintain three orphanages, two hospitals and five clinics in the region. The Sisters also provide vocational training through three skill-development centers and are in the midst of developing university-level educational opportunities for the poorest young men and women of Africa.